Students in Grades 3 learn to play the recorder. After learning the basics, we begin the “Recorder Belts Program”. Students must complete the various levels to earn their “belts” (little pieces of string which attach to the bottom of their recorders). For each level, there are different songs which the students must be able to perform in order to obtain their belt for that level. Once Black Belt is obtained, there are some challenging special belts which the students can work to earn.
Recorder students are not required to have their own recorder as the school provides one for them to use. Since they may not take their school recorder home, many students choose to buy their own recorders so they can practice anytime. Recorders are quite affordable and can be purchased at any music store.
Please click on the links below to hear some of our previous recorder performances
- Canoe Song
- Orff Arrangement – Xylophones & Recorders
- All Through the Night – Beginning Recorder Ensemble
- Ode to Joy
- Andean Tune
- Jolly Old St. Nicholas – Xylophones & Recorders
- One May Begin – Round
- Old Tom White
- The Stork
- O Christmas Tree
Recorder Belt Music (Students are encouraged to print these to practice at home)
Fingering Chart – Soprano
Electronic Recorder Karate Testing Instructions
In order to maximize our class time, I would like to add electronic recorder testing this year for students who are willing and able to do this at home. Please note: Students may only test for one belt at a time and they must wait to hear back from me before they try for the next level. To submit a test electronically, please follow the instructions below:
1) You may record your songs using any iPad or iPhone app that you may have. You may also use a free online recorder if your computer has a microphone. Click here for the online recorder.
2) Press record. Say your full name, classroom teacher and which belt you are testing for.
3) Play the songs and save them.
4) Email the sound file to Mrs. Onuma at email@example.com